Over the last year a number of buildings have been demolished in Carlisle to make way for new development and to try and improve the City.
One building on this list was the Pedestrian Arms Public House on Newtown Road, to the west of the city.
It has appeared to struggle over recent years and towards the end of 2014 the decision to demolish it was made by the council.
The two story property had been placed on the market in Dec 2012 by the owners Punch Taverns with an asking price of £175,000.
Closed since early 2013 demolition began with the removal of roof slates and the disposal of internal fixtures and fittings.
State Management Scheme
The Pedestrian Arms was one of the many public houses that were taken over by the Government in the early 1900’s as part of the State Management Scheme.
This incentive ran from 1916 to 1973 and involved the transformation of the pub or inn from an often neglected unhygenic establishment into a renovated, food serving and welcoming social venue.
During the First World War, the emphasis in the scheme had been upon the elimination of drunkenness and the promotion of temperance; however, in peacetime a subtle shift took place and by 1925 a new policy had been introduced for providing comfortable women’s bars.
The history of the Pedestrian Arms stretches back more than 100 years. One map shows the land occupied as a public house in the 1860’s when Newtown Road was known as Cobden Street.
According to local archives, the pub has been called The Pedestrian since 1869. However, it was known as the North British Railway Inn between 1876 and 1920, before reverting to its old name in 1921.
In April 2014 Carlisle City Planning Department agreed an outline planning application for the site for a residential development